Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dogs or Cats?

I was listening to 610 Sports Radio in Houston the other morning after the Houston Texans got slammed...AGAIN...by the New England Patriots, when for some reason the conversation turned to dogs and cats. The radio hosts were far and away dog lovers, which I have no problem with. But, they also voiced a total disdain for cats. One went so far as to say he couldn't stand cats.

In my lifetime, I have heard more guys say they have no love for the common house cat than those who do. Most have expressed a severe dislike for them. I think I know why. However, lets go to the dog and why men love them more.

Dogs are great. I love them. Allow me to go through the short list of dogs that I have owned. There was Toy, Zeus, Sissy, Ginger, Buddy and Phoebe. Toy was a short haired terrier mix and he was extremely loyal and fun to play with outdoors. Zeus was my German Shepherd and he had my back. Sissy and Ginger were two little dogs that belonged to me and my parents and both were very loving. Buddy was a chow mix and he had my wife's back...even when it came to me. He hated men and worshipped her. I didn't have to worry about the girls' safety while I was gone. If anyone tried to get to them, they would have had to go over his dead body. Then, there was Phoebe, my black labrador retriever. Crazy dog, but very loving. We had to give her over to a good family while I was working in England. She's very happy and loved where she is now. Men love dogs because they exude manhood. To have a manly dog makes a man feel...well...manly. A lot of men have 'control' issues and need a dog to carry them out. Dogs are subservient creatures and want to please their master. Dogs have no problem with having a master, because the master meets all their needs. Water, food, a place to stay and companionship. It's like having a slave. The dog, in turn, protects the home, the family, hunts and basically does what it's told to do. They are great company, always at your feet waiting to please. In addition, many people just prefer dogs. They love dogs. It's almost an innate thing you are born with to love a dog. Dogs are good and have proven themselves to man for centuries as great helpmates.

Then, there is the cat. I think men hate cats because cats couldn't care less what they want. You can't look at a cat and say, "Come!", expecting him to do anything other than to look back at you with an expression that says, "I know you ain't talkin' to me." It has been said the ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods and that they have never forgotten it. I would have to agree this is how they act. In the above paragraph, I mentioned several dogs I have 'owned'. The same cannot be said of cats. One never owns a cat. Dogs have masters. Cats have staff. I have heard men say that with a cat, you get nothing back in return. I have to disagree. With cats, you actually learn something about yourself and can take additional lessons about life in general from a cat. The first lesson would be to chill out and take a bath. Nothing seems to be as refreshing to a cat than a good bath. When a cat bathes, the entire world goes into 'stop' mode and total attention is given to it. When something is important, the cat says, put your whole being to the task. No other animal has mastered the art of the nap like the cat has. Frequent naps are part and parcel in the nature of the cat. As I have grown older, this catlike wisdom has taken root with me. Nothing beats a good nap. Cats teach you to be independent and wary of others. Cats can be left alone for days at a time. When you return, they look at you as if to say, "Oh...you left?" You gotta love that. Our oldest cat, Sasha, beds us down every night. He gets on top of us and lays down, purring loudly. The purr is one of the most pleasant sounds in all the world. Much better than a bark.

If you choose to own a dog, I think that's great. Dogs are a great animal friend to have. But, don't look down on people who love cats a little more. These are sensitive people who like a quiet, sedate animal at their side while they read a book. When they allow it, you can stroke their soft fur and listen to them purr. It is said cats don't show affection. That's usually said by people who don't like cats and have never had one choose them to live with. Cats are very affectionate creatures. It's just that the affection comes to you on their terms, and not yours. If you're a guy who likes to have control over everything around you, then you will hate cats. But, if you're a guy with a big heart who believes in 'live and let live', then you will treasure the company of a cat, as much as you will that of an obedient dog. I have had both at the same time, and it was a happy home we had. Love your dog, but have a heart for the cat. They are a special creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment