Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Musing for my 200th Blog Posting

When one of us tries to climb out of the pool of mediocrity, there are more than enough people ready to push us back down into the masses...where they reside as well. What surprises us the most, is the big stick being used to keep us down is usually operated by those who we refer to as 'friends'. They don't mind being drawn in to the circles of those who have already climbed from the pit and gained some notoriety, as long as they didn't know them 'when'. It's like a code with many people. "Since you weren't anything when I first met you, there's no need to think you'll be anything in the future. And, if you try to be, you're just being ridiculous."

I, for one, would be ecstatic to see a friend of mine suddenly win the lottery or break out with a new widget the whole world was clamoring for. It would be great if one of my friends invented the cure for every disease everywhere and was able to market it and become the medical genius of all time. But, that's just me.

The fact is there are a lot of jealous people out there who don't even want those they know to TRY and better themselves or break out into an unknown realm and venture where angels fear to tread. Why is that? Have you ever seen Good Will Hunting? I've never understood the mentality of not wanting to see people you know have a break-out moment in their lives. Even my wife is bad about it. Throughout our nearly 35 years, I've come to her with certain ideas and mostly been met with a frown followed by a scowl followed by..."That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard." And, for the most part, she was right. But, what about a little support? What about a little encouragement? What's wrong with a little prop-up?  I ignored her one time and spent $17,000, our life's savings at the time, on a project I was sure would make us rich. It didn't. And, I lost it. Took a while for her to speak to me after that one.

When I started writing more than twenty years ago, it was just a hobby to take my mind off all our troubles. Poetry was my first love, and I still pound a poem out every now and then. After that, I sat down to write a short story. A year and 183,000 words later, I wrote THE END to Deathjester; The Legend of Battleblade. It was my first attempt at writing and I don't recommend its purchase. I need to go back and have a re-do. I wrote the small book about my daughter we lost, and then a behind the scenes non-fiction about Southern Baptist pastors and the trials they go through. Then, I began my research on The Keeper's Dare. Seven years I spent...not exclusively...in interviewing and studying, internet searching, court documents/newspaper/log book reading and many miles of driving. Finally, while living in Wokingham, England, I began to write the book. To date, it is my best seller and, hope beyond hope, it will be made into a motion picture and catapult me out of the oil field. My wife was always poo-pooing my endeavor, but I ignored her...as usual.

It was then I developed my idea for a fictional crime/detective story based in Houston. I titled it, The Last Medal. For the first time in my marriage, after my wife read the book, she came to me and said it was one of the best stories she's ever read. And she doesn't even like that genre. From that point on, she has been encouraging me, supporting me and propping me up when I get down about the slowness of this process.

People who are helped, or just given a kind word of encouragement...most people...won't forget it. I am one of those. On the other hand, I am also one of those who won't forget the lack of it from people I would expect it from. My mother's side of the family has ostracized me over The Keeper's Dare. My father's side...most of them...never had much use for me and I say, "Right back atcha." to those it applies to. You know who you are. For the most part, I only have my wife, daughter and few friends upon which I can draw encouragement.

John McClain, a journalist for the Houston Chronicle, tweeted about my writing endeavors and even wrote a small article about me and my books in the paper. And all this was without asking him to do so. I advised him, via e-mail, it was one of the most unselfish acts anyone has ever done for me. He's a sports writer, for Pete's sake. Why would he take valuable space to write about a virtually unknown author? Because, he's my friend. And right now, I would take a bullet for John McClain if called upon to do so.

For those of you who joke with me about my writing and what my chances are to make it big, this isn't about you. That is your way of telling me that you won't allow me to let it go to my head. I need people like that around me. For those of you who do encourage me and tell me to keep plugging away, you are invaluable to me and I thank you. But, there are those out there who are serious about not wishing to see me succeed in this arena. To them I say, have a great life. And, stay out of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment