Friday, August 9, 2013

New (and Old) Projects

It is very difficult to keep from being excited about the prospect of selling my screenplay to The Keeper's Dare. I never dreamed of getting this far; never imagined it. It's like looking across a great divide and the landscape in front of you is black. You know it will be impossible to penetrate it, but you just have to try. You don't listen to the naysayers. You ignore the ones who don't support you. And you reach deep down inside and find the will to go on. Even if this thing falls through, which the chances are very good it will...I will still have gotten this far. Feels good. The Keeper's Dare novel is my bestseller, but I hope Hell's Gunman catches up.

Speaking of Hell's Gunman, the book party is tomorrow and I can't wait to see everybody. If everybody turns out to be two...then I'll still be happy to see everybody. We're going to have a good time.

The western I'm writing at the moment somehow became the priority. The story is flowing really well and while writing I see it so vividly I can anticipate what's coming deep into the plot. It helps me to establish the foundation that builds up to those points...which, in turn, allows me to improve the flow. I don't know how it happens and I wish I knew how to increase its longevity. If this continues, I could be finished with it in three or four weeks. The same thing happened on Hell's Gunman. It only took two months to pound it out. I'm beginning to think the Western is a genre that I better relate to. Whether it not it relates to the reader is what is most important. If it doesn't, the work is useless if it only relates to the writer. Except, of course, the pride in knowing it is yours and yours alone.

My science fiction novel is on the shelf and ready to be sent out to publishers. But I've been so busy with Hell's Gunman and the effort to sell the screenplay, I didn't want to get involved in that, either. I still have to do my 40 hours a week at the cubicle just like everybody else. Besides, I wanted to see how the screenplay and the new book fare.

The murder mystery I began more than a year ago is still languishing on the sideline, like a forlorn second string quarterback who hasn't gotten to play a down in a real game for two years. I like the story. Don't get me wrong. I like the characters and I like how the book is playing out. But, for some reason I got to a certain point and lost my way. Hell, even I don't know yet whodunit. I haven't decided. I have about six really good suspects I could pin it on...but I just can't make up my mind. I'll have to read what I've written when I get back to it so I can remember what it was about. For all my Hardin County, Texas friends, the setting for the story is Hardin County.

I've started working on a synopsis and character creation for a 'road trip' story. This will be my first attempt at a comedy/action/adventure novel, and I'm excited about the plot and sub-plots that have been thought out. Will I finish the murder mystery first? I don't know.

Two chapters of a zombie book have been written. Over a year ago. Nothing else to tell you about that. I'm sure the murder mystery will be finished before I consider it again.

That's it for now. Hope to see all of you at the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment