Sunday, August 18, 2013

First Draft Almost Complete

My latest novel is near 'first draft' completion. I'm now more than 90,000 words into it and will probably reach a hundred thousand by the time I'm finished. Then comes the two or three read-throughs to catch as many grammatical and spelling errors as possible. Plus, there will be places where I realize there should be a little more descriptive writing or a little less and add/delete as necessary.  After that, it goes on the shelf.

At that time, I'll have two novels waiting in the wings. My sci-fi and this one will wait a while before I shop them around. The murder mystery I started over a year ago still sits at 65,000 words. I have to get my mind ready to finish that one. It's been languishing too long. There has been such a time lapse with it that I will most likely have to read what I have in order to remember the plot line. It shouldn't take more than four or five weeks to finish it, and then I'll have three novels to market.

I'm a little apprehensive to put any more out there. I want to see how The Keeper's Dare screenplay works out. As expected, all was quiet last week with the producers...except for one unexpected contact. On Thursday, I found a request to connect on LinkedIn waiting for me from one of the producers. No message, or anything like that, just a 'connect' request. I thought, 'Can't hurt' and pushed 'confirm'. The initial agreement was signed and returned on Monday. I don't expect to hear anything this week, either. Nor the next. I don't want to 'expect' anything...that way I don't get disappointed. If it happens, it happens.

Going back to the book I'm about to finish; I've had a great time writing it. For the first time I've written a book in the same genre as one of my others. The story fell into my lap and I was quite surprised to see that a fictional account of a certain place in the old west has never been written. I couldn't believe my luck and didn't want to let any grass grow before I pounded one out. My daughter says it's a very unique way of telling a story...as I've let her have sneak peeks for the last month. Believe me...if she didn't think it was, she wouldn't say it. She's tough on dad and his writing.  While I am not too keen on revealing what it's about or where and when it's placed, I will tell you that it is based on a town that actually existed, and that its existence came about purely by mistake. Two orphans, a ten year old boy and a twelve year old girl, are thrust into the middle of this violent and lawless place, where the reader sees through their eyes the depths that men can go to when their passions and lusts are left unbridled; and how the human spirit...even in ones so young...can adapt and survive, keeping its humanity intact. Colorful and flamboyant characters come in and out, bringing to the story...what I think...is a level of excitement and intrigue. While the place is historical, the account I've written is purely fictional; except for a few names, places and incidents I've used to keep it 'real'. Other than that, I've adopted a loose license to bring it and the characters to life...I hope.

Hell's Gunman has received several plaudits from those who have read it so far. I've gotten messages on FB and my e-mail telling me how much they enjoyed the story. A friend of mine from high school gave it a five star rating on Amazon, and I appreciate it very much.

For those of you who have supported me in any way, I wish to thank you very much. Many friends have been cheerleading for my success and some have put their money where their mouth is. To date, none have told me they were disappointed in doing so. It is this kind of support from family and friends that encourages me to keep writing out the stories that are in my head. I'm on a roll right now, and I don't want to stop until I have them on 'paper'. Everyone needs support, regardless of the endeavor. It motivates and gives a person's spirit the drive to continue. Thanks again to all who have supported me in ANY way. You are the grease that keeps my writing wheels turning. I hope you have a great Sunday, and great week coming up. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment