Sunday, September 30, 2012

I don't know much, but I know football....

Back in 2006, the Houston Texans had the overall number one draft pick due to their dismal 2-14 season the year before. They had a new head coach in Gary Kubiak, and the person they chose was an unknown by the name of Mario  Williams. At Six Foot Six Inches and weighing 292 pounds, he was chiseled like a Greek god and was fast, quick, strong and had all the athletic potential to be a beast as a defensive end.

Still, I was skeptical. I did a little research on the guy and quickly decided he was definitely not worth the 40 something million they contracted him for. In fact, as a numero uno overall I hated the pick. At the time, Houston had so many holes to fill on both sides of the ball, especially on offense, it was beyond me why they would take a chance on this guy.

Even the vaunted Houston Texans expert with the Houston Chronicle, John McClain, belittled me on his blog over and over when I would rant about Williams' inconsistencies, his taking plays/quarters/halves and entire games OFF. Others on the blog would rail at me when I would point out that he was constantly injured here and hurt there and had bo-bo's in numerous places every single  year. I was slammed for not knowing what I was talking about and labeled an idiot or worse.

Then, last year, he got hurt again early in the season and was gone for the year. And guess what? The defense melded together and began to play like a unit. JJ Watt and Brooks Reed (two rookies), stepped up and began to make plays, sack the quarterback, punish running backs and break up passes. For the first time in Texans' history they won their division and won a playoff game. Without the great blunderbuss of a bust named Mario Williams.

Suddenly, the Houston coaching staff, management and owner decided they didn't need Mario Williams anymore and let him sign with the Buffalo Bills for 100 million dollars. I laughed out loud when I heard the news. First, I laughed with joy because they finally got rid of the underachieving, lazy no-good. Second, I laughed that Buffalo would be taken in by this dismal failure of a football player.

But, let's back up to the 2011 draft. In the first round the Texans had the 11th pick. They chose JJ Watt out of Wisconsin. He was about the same size as Williams at Six Foot Five and 295 pounds. As before, I hadn't heard of this guy and did a little research. I was immediately impressed. Not only did this guy have a motor, but he had heart. JJ Watt is the kind of player that won't be defeated and has no 'quit'. There is no such mind set in this guy to 'take plays off' because he might be a little tired. I gave the pick a thumbs up.

Now, I don't know what JJ makes, but since he wasn't a numero uno overall pick, I know Houston ain't paying him a hundred million dollars or even forty million dollars. Yet, he's only in his second year and Williams is in his seventh year. Experience should mean that Mario has learned all the tricks of the trade and should be putting up Reggie White, Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor numbers. Right? Let's compare the two so far in the first four games of this year.

Mario Williams has registered 7 tackles, 2 assisted tackles, 1.5 sacks and 1 pass defended. In four games, this is what a hundred million dollars has been purchased by the Bills.

JJ Watt, in his second season as a pro, mind you, has registered 15 tackles, 3 assisted tackles, 7.5 sacks and 5 passes defended. Oh, and he's also recovered a fumble.

And, by the way, this year? Mario hurt his wrist before the season even started, so he has an excuse for his poor play...just like he has every single solitary year that he's played. And JJ? He dislocated his elbow before the season started and is wearing a brace since it still isn't 100%.

I don't have to wait until the end of the season to see how all this plays out. I've been watching 'Super' Mario since 2006. The man has no heart. JJ Watt, on the other hand, has the heart of winner that beats so strong that Mario isn't good enough to carry JJ's dirty jock strap. I know how this season is going to end up. JJ will have better stats, better performances, and far more game changing plays than Mario could buy with his hundred million dollars. And how do I know this? Because I don't know much...but I know football. And, the stats don't lie that I was right all along about this one hundred million dollar bust named Mario Williams. He was a dud when he was picked. He's been a dud since being in Houston. And he's a dud now that he's in Buffalo.

And that's just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment